Johnny is the cross-platform Open Source GUI frontend for the popular password cracker John the Ripper. It was originally proposed and designed by Shinnok in draft, version 1.0 implementation was achieved by Aleksey Cherepanov as part of GSoC 2012 and Mathieu Laprise took Johnny further towards 2.0 and beyond as part of GSoC 2015.
Johnny's aim is to automate and simplify the password cracking routine with the help of the tremendously versatile and robust John the Ripper, as well as add extra functionality on top of it, specific to Desktop and GUI paradigms, like improved hash and password workflow, multiple attacks and session management, easily define complex attack rules, visual feedback and statistics, all of it on top of the immense capabilities and features offered by both JtR core/proper as well as jumbo.
See CHANGELOG for a complete listing of features.
The current version is 2.2.
- Windows : johnny_2.2_win.zip
- OS X : johnny_2.2_osx.zip
- Linux : binaries are not provided, you should build the software from source (see https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/blob/v2.2/INSTALL and Sources section).
- Windows : johnny_2.1_win.zip
- OS X : johnny_2.1_osx.zip
- Linux : binaries are not provided, you should build the software from source (see https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/blob/v2.1/INSTALL and Sources section).
- Windows : johnny_2.0_win.zip
- OS X : johnny_2.0_osx.zip
- Linux : binaries are not provided, you should build the software from source (see https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/blob/v2.0/INSTALL and Sources section).
Johnny does not have shortcuts for system menu yet. So type 'johnny' in your terminal to start Johnny.
Deb packages (suitable for Debian, Linux Mint, Ubuntu and so on):
Rpm packages (suitable for Fedora, Mageia, OpenSUSE):
Generic tarball (manual installation or no installation):
Johnny is hosted at Github: https://github.com/shinnok/johnny
For building from source instructions, see INSTALL.
Getting started is as easy as:
Via direct-download: https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/archive/v2.2.zip
1) git clone https://github.com/shinnok/johnny.git && cd johnny 2) git checkout v2.2
1) git clone https://github.com/shinnok/johnny.git && cd johnny
$more README # For getting your feet wet
Johnny is in development. Development was started as part of Summer of Security 2011 by Aleksey Cherepanov while Shinnok became a mentor for Aleksey. Development was continued by Aleksey Cherepanov as a part of Google Summer of Code 2012 with invaluable help of Frank Dittrich as mentor. It has been developed further more in Google Summer of Code 2015 by Mathieu Laprise and Shinnok.
We welcome any new contributor on Github as well as any feedback on john-dev or john-users mail lists.
Johnny is currently planned using the roadmap available at: http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny-roadmap